Monday, August 31, 2009

Nesting, or something like that.


Maybe it's the back-to-school hype, maybe it's the imminent change of seasons, maybe it's just my own internal clock, but late summer-early fall always seems to be a time of change and reflection for me. I never make New Year's resolutions, but late August is usually when I set my goals for the coming year and try to figure out how to accomplish said goals. And of course, as a homeschooler, my main goal for the year is ensuring that my children LEARN something.

Now while most public school kids are already in the thick of things, my children have been reveling in books, computer games and movies the last couple of weeks while I have been tackling tedious tasks. Organizing the hall closet where board games, school supplies and art supplies are kept, cleaning and organizing the utility room (which in our home also doubles as an overflow for art and science supplies), going through our curriculum deciding what we're using for the Monkey this year and looking for stuff that might work for the Piggy as well and in general trying to get this house to a manageable level of clean. Manageable level of clean, HA! I don't even know exactly what that is. And trying to reach that level while two active, bored children are living hard in it has been impossible! Maybe if it wasn't 160*F outside and I could send them OUTDOORS to play I could achieve the elusive "clean house" but no chance when they're cooped up inside! I do feel a slight sense of accomplishment though, the really big stuff is done and now I'm down to a few small projects (making felt boards and activity bags) and working on September lesson plans. I feel a little more confident this year. Maybe I'm starting to get the hang of this homeschool thing, or maybe I'm just slow on the uptake and haven't realized the enormity of the task yet! Either way, I feel as though I'm in a slightly euphoric state. I wonder how long that will last?

I am taking the rest of the week to continue with my preparations and enjoy a nice 3-day weekend with Big Daddy and the kids before getting down to business next Tuesday. Then it's back to the flow of a daily routine, back to the sounds of pencils scratching on paper, back to blowing things up with vinegar and baking soda, back to glue and paint and art to decorate my fridge. For some reason, the thought soothes me. It sounds so simple and harmonious, the epitome of homeschool bliss! So all of my fellow homeschoolers HUSSSHHHH! Let me enjoy the fantasy for just another week! Then we can all laugh about reality when I see you at the park!

No comments:

Post a Comment