Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Greens Gone Wild!!!

I had to do some much needed garden maintenance yesterday.  Everything is really out of control, in a good way!  All but the turnips.  For some reason, aphids went nutso on the turnip greens and they were wilting, and drooping and turning yellow.  Needless to say, turnip greens are not in my future!  And sadly, I had to make the executive decision to pull all of the turnips.  I needed to get them out of there so the aphids wouldn't spread to everything else!  Many of the turnips were not fully mature, BUT, they are young and tender and when mixed with some carrots, sweet potatoes and maybe parsnips they will make an awesome side dish!  This is my puny harvest!
 Aren't they pretty?  I can't wait to see how my beets and kohlrabi turn out!

I keep telling people to PLEASE come to my house and harvest some lettuce, spinach and greens and so far no one has taken me up on it?  WTH?  I mean seriously, FREE, organic greens.  Any of you reading this, the offer still stands!  As you can see, I'm not kidding.  I really do have greens coming out of my ears!

Lettuce and spinach
Beets and kohlrabi
In case you're wondering, beet greens are great wilted down with red onions and a splash of vinegar.  They also kick ass fresh in a salad.  Kohlrabi greens are very similar in taste and texture to collard greens.  I don't have a pic of the collards but they too are out of control and beautiful!

Did someone say cilantro?!?  Who knew it would turn into a BUSH!?!
So seriously people, come get some greens!  I will probably start pulling things around the first of April so I can get my summer garden in.  And by then the lettuce will be wilting and full of snails!

No comments:

Post a Comment