First of all, supplies. I used wooden clothespins, soy-based paint (that was a neat find!), self-adhesive craft foam, poms-poms, cross-stitch thread, ruffled ribbon, and a hot glue gun.
And yes, I even added little belly-buttons! Next step was to add hair and construct tail fins. I had my mom-in-law cut the fins out of sparkly, self-adhesive craft foam. You need two for each tail, so you can stick them together. Once they are stuck together and your dolls are dry enough, slide that foam into the slits at the bottom of the clothespin. We cut the hair out of cross-stitch thread and used a dot of hot glue and pressed the hair into it. Then embellished as desired. This is final product!
They're SWEET! Right? I felt so inspired and confident after I finished these little cuties that I decided to whip out some ballerinas too! Pretty much the same deal, except the slits faced forward. I painted little toe shoes and used ruffles and pom-poms for the tutus. I also painted the hair and added some pom-poms for buns and/or little hats!
OK, the one with the orange poms makes me giggle! I LOVE them! I do think for the next batch, I will paint the bodice in a way that leaves an unpainted area for little arms. But hey, for a first try, these turned out pretty damn good! I can't wait to see my little Piggy's face on Christmas morning! I am also looking forward to making the next batch with her. She would have SO much fun with this. And once we figure out the gnomes, I'll be sure to post about them as well!
Here's hoping you all have a wonderful holiday season! Keep warm and safe and love one another!!