Monday, November 23, 2009

A New Beginning

Life without Otis has been HARD. He was just such a presence in our home and now that he is gone it has been almost unbearable to be in here. The kids have been sad and restless and I've been doing stupid things like telling the Monkey Man to go let the dog out and crazy stuff like that. Every time I come around a corner or up the stairs I halfway expect to find him laying there asleep. But he's not and it depresses me even more.

Big Daddy and I had determined that we would wait until after the holidays to even think about getting another dog, but I just couldn't help it. I started looking at shelter and rescue sites, feeling guilty and pathetic like some lovesick, dog junky cruising for a fix. Until one morning I came across a picture of "Samantha" that stole my heart and I knew I had to see her. I packed the kids up and told myself I was just looking, no big deal. I can just look, just to see what was out there, you know? I was absolutely NOT going to adopt one. I was JUST LOOKING. And then I saw her. She looked just like her picture only sweeter and sadder. She walked up with those droopy eyes and saggy ears and I knew it was all over. We asked to take her for a walk, I secretly hoped that she would totally suck with the kids, but she didn't. She was wonderful. Bouncy but not spastic and totally floppy and lovey and full of kisses. She would get into your lap and just melt into you. SHIT. So we put her back and proceeded to look around at the other dogs.

The Monkey Man begged to see a little dog dubbed "Castaway". OK, that is already completely sad, who names a dog that? I was pretty sure this dog was not going to be THE dog, after all he was a chihuahua mix and I'm not a big fan of little, shivery dogs. But then I saw him and wanted to kick myself 20 times for even coming to this god forsaken place! He had the most beautiful deep black eyes and black nose and the sweetest disposition! And just like "Samantha", he was awesome with the kids. In fact, the Piggy was seriously in love! I sat down on the grass and he crawled into my lap with those big, black doe-eyes and proceeded to melt right into me as well. DAMN THESE DOGS! So I quickly gave him back to the volunteer, packed up the kids and drove away as fast as I could, telling myself that we were NOT adopting a dog.

Then it started... the nagging, the heart ache, the guilt. My insides just started to gnaw at me. How could I leave a perfectly good dog at the shelter?!? So I had a heart to heart with Big Daddy who resigned himself to the fact that we'd be getting a dog before the holidays. I managed to talk him into coming to look at both the dogs because I didn't want to make that kind of decision alone, after all he'd have to live with the consequences too! So he came, he saw and was just as indecisive as I was, ha-HA! And I think he knew in his heart that if we only got one, I would have eaten myself up inside and ended up with ulcers! So he shrugged his shoulders and said, "Just go adopt the damn dogs!" And he went back to work.

So I did. I adopted them both and hoped like hell they would get along! And yes, I know what you're thinking. Two pups? Are they insane? Apparently we are, in fact I think insane would be a gross understatement! If there was a book called, "You Might Be a Dumbass" there would surely be a picture of me and my family on the cover! But just look at them? Could YOU have walked away?

First off, meet "Samantha" who from this day forward will be known as "Penelope" or "Penny" for short (no pun intended).

She is a young, most likely Bassett Hound/Beagle mix, a Basseagle if you will. She is short and really long, kind of like a white and brown polka dot stretch limo!

She has the sweetest, droopiest little face with some seriously sad puppy eyes. I was a sucker for her the moment I laid eyes on her! She's a little bitch to be sure. She's great and totally submissive to her humans but she's an Alpha bitch to be reckoned with around other dogs. That will take some work, but she's a puppy and we have lots of manners we need to learn!

And then there's "Castaway".

The Monkey Man liked that name until he looked it up in the dictionary and found out that it meant something you discard or throw away. Once he knew the definition, he thought the name stunk, and frankly I couldn't have agreed more. This little dog did not deserve to be discarded and he has found his forever home with us. He is now known as "Nigel" because he's not a ten, he goes all the way to eleven! And at this very moment, he is sleeping soundly in my lap, he's been very tired since coming home from the shelter.

We think he is probably some strange mix of Italian Greyhound/Dachsund/Chihuahua which would make him an Italian Dachshuahua. He is very quiet and timid, until you leave his little ass alone for 2 hours and then he becomes the Tasmanian Devil and destroys your master bathroom! But alas, he is also a puppy and as much as I wanted to choke the living shit out of him last night, I know that he too needs some work. After all, how could I expect two pups that have spent a great deal of time in a shelter situation to come to me perfect? Everything that is worth having in this world takes time and effort, after all, my kids are my greatest joy, but the hardest things I have ever endured. So I have high hopes for these pups. We have given them a home and a second chance and they have given us the ability to start healing and to love again.

In closing I would just like to say that if any of you are searching for someone to share your home with who will give you undying and unconditional love, you don't have to go any further than your local shelter, humane association or rescue organization. As far as I'm concerned "Adoption IS the best option!" So give a repo dog or cat a second chance!

1 comment:

  1. Girl I have been missing you more than you know. I'm lame for not keeping up in your life and I come to your blog and find out the Odi Podi died and I feel crushed. I am so sorry. He was a cool hound.

    I then read your post about your new dogs and get all misty eyed. You did a great thing and these dogs will be so grateful to be in a wonderful home they will be awesome companions.

    I would love to hear from you! Ben asks about the monkey man from time to time. :)I have a new dog, so if you want to see her hop over to my blog and check her out.

    I need to change the link on my blog to come to this page. Wow I've really been out of touch with you and so many others too.

    ReplyDelete