Friday, April 2, 2010

Hooray! Numero Dos emerges!


This year we had the great honor to play host to 2 luna moth cocoons and two Spicebush Swallowtail butterfly chrysalids. The first butterfly emerged almost a month ago and the two lunas shortly followed suit, but there was one lonely little chrysalid still hanging out in the butterfly enclosure. I have been checking on it daily but nothing. The kids were worried, I was worried, in short we were all beginning to think Little Dos was a DUD. But not being one to give up on life so easily I just let it hang out. I probably would have left it another month before I finally got rid of it, just to make absolutely certain it wasn't going to emerge. Much to our great joy we were greeted by Little Dos this morning when we came downstairs! I was SO relieved! As usual, we packed it up and went to my son's room (which oddly enough is the cleanest room in the house right now, I know, WEIRD) and let the little butterfly out. It was perfectly content to hang out on our fingers, arms, shoulders, etc... and we were thrilled! It was so mellow that I was really able to show and talk to the kids about the different parts, its abdomen, its thorax, its eyes and its proboscis! So cool! And of course, I had to snap a few shots. I only got a few in before my camera croaked though, damn batteries!

Here's the kiddos checking it out...
The Piglet was brave this year!
Monkey Man has always loved them, he is so gentle and so curious, I love it!
We spent about 30 mintues with this lovely little beastie before I decided we needed to let it go to find some food and a mate. There were some tears from the Piggy, she wanted to keep it forever as she loved it SOOOOO much. But I explained that this was a wild animal and the only way it would be truly happy was to be free. I let her unzip the carrier and get it out and it sat on her hand for just a few seconds before it took to the sky, flitting back and forth. We lost sight of it over the house. Good luck little butterfly and thank you for making our day so special!

No comments:

Post a Comment