Friday, February 4, 2011

The Big Chill-2011

We have SNOW.  In Central Texas.  Really.
The whole city is shut down.  And I'm not kidding.  Over this much snow...

I mean it is so pathetic that the Monkey Man rolled his eyes and said, "Whatever.  We can't even make a snowball with that!  Can I just play Wii?"  I had to practically force him to put on his coat and go outside so I could at least get one picture of him in this monumental meteorological event!

The Piggy was a smidge more excited.  She was, however, pretty bummed to find out that this, like the Ruidoso snow, was NOT snowman snow.  She was able to make little snowballs to pelt at me, but they fell apart mid-air so it was more of a snow shower!  As it turns out, trampolines are fun in the snow!
And although this measly bit of snow was fun for my daughter, it almost made me cry.  For those of you who weren't in Texas, you might not know that this particular storm was preceded by about 2 days of well-below-freezing temps with lots of wind and wind chill.  I did my very best to cover the garden and shield it from the nastiness but when I peeled the frost barriers off this morning to shake off the snow and let the garden get some much needed sun, I found utter desolation.  :(
I'm thinkin' those peas ain't coming back!  The onions, chives and cilantro MIGHT make it, but I'm not holding my breath.  The collards and turnips didn't fare much better.
Some of the lettuce might pull through but anything around the edges looked like this...
So sad.  But what is worst of all, is I was left with a whole bed of "dead beets".  (Pah-dum-pump--PSHHH!)
See, I'm so distraught I'm making tasteless jokes!  So I'm glad everyone got their snow and their day off but I personally think the "Great Blizzard of 2011" can bite my ass!

2 comments:

  1. I am so, so sad for your garden! At least if the produce had to suffer the whole family should have enjoyed a foot or more of snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm still pissed about it. I know that's the risk of a winter garden but I never in a million years expected 16* temps with wind chill close to 0* here in Texas! I don't think it's a total loss, but then again, I hear more cold weather is coming next week. It's possible the beets and turnips themselves (root-wise) will be OK, but I will certainly not be able to eat the greens which is half the point! Sigh. Oh well, spring is around the corner and another season to plant.

    ReplyDelete