Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's on the Menu? Mulligatawny Soup

I seem to be on a food kick lately!  Eh, who am I kidding, I'm ALWAYS on a food kick!  I can't help it, I love to cook and I love to EAT!  Last week, I was under the weather, some stupid cold or something.  Anyway, I was looking for a soup.  Something hearty and tasty and nothing brothy and thin, I wanted stick to your bones, nourishing soup.  So I started digging through my recipes.  Lo and behold, I came across an old recipe, from my Portland days.  Honestly, I haven't made this soup in eight years!  An anesthesiologist I had the pleasure of working with in Oregon gave me this recipe after we had a soup-themed potluck one day.  It was so tasty and amazing and I was raving about it and trying to figure out what the starch was in the recipe as I knew for sure it wasn't potato.  I thought maybe it was turnip or parsnip or something along those lines, boy was I ever surprised to find out it was little green apples!  Had someone informed me of that at the beginning, this little country girl would have never put that soup in her mouth!  Apples in soup, CRAZY!  But nobody told me until later and I am thankful for it!  So don't be squeamish!  Chop up those little apples and TRUST me, you won't regret it!

Mulligatawny Soup--courtesy of K. Lalwani

Before you begin, cook some rice!  You'll need about a cup of cooked rice at the end of the recipe.

Saute the following:
1/4 c olive oil
1 chicken breast cubed
1/2 c onion
1 large carrot, sliced
2 stalks celery, diced

Add 1-1/2 tbsp. flour and 2 tsps. curry powder, cook for about 3 minutes.  Pour in 32 oz. chicken broth and simmer for about 30 min.

Add and simmer for an additional 10-15 minutes:
1 medium tart apple, diced
Between 1/2-1 c. cooked rice (I use closer to a full cup)
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/8 tsp. thyme

Immediately before serving, stir in 1/2 c. heavy cream. 
All I can say, is this is one of those recipes that got lost in the little box of recipes.  I can guarantee, I won't make that mistake again!  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment