Thursday, April 7, 2011

Beet It!

OK, sorry about the dumb reference to a Michael Jackson song, I just couldn't help it!  Anyhoo... the other day I really hit the gardening jackpot!  I was out watering and checking on things as I REALLY need to get the summer garden going but I still have winter garden stuff going strong.  I decided to pull a beet or two, just to see how they were doing and you know what?  They were doing FINE!  So I pulled a big ol' bunch of them!
Just look at that beautiful red!  To die for!  I washed them up and trimmed off the greens, which I'll be serving for dinner soon.  Can I just say that I LOVE beets and turnips for this very reason!  You can eat the leaves AND the roots.  Super.  Food.  Awesome.
I popped them into a pot of boiling water for about 30 min. (40 for some of the bigger ones).  Then as I rinsed them in cold water, the skins just came right off and I was left with beautiful burgundy beets!  So I let 'em cool off so I could slice 'em and then EAT 'em!
And oh HELL YEAH, they were awesome!  I have been nibbling on them periodically or serving them on every salad I eat!  They have a nice bite and the texture puts those icky canned ones to shame!  Now I'm on the lookout for the perfect beet salad!

2 comments:

  1. I can honestly say that ... until reading your post ... I have never before had a beet obsession. These look absolutely GLORIOUS!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my first successful harvest of beets. I planted them last year, but the dog dug up half the bed right after planting and other than a few rogue beets that ended up in the yard, we had the big nada. I am so happy they were successful this year AND I found out that my family members that don't like collard or turnip greens actually enjoy beet greens! Bonus!

    ReplyDelete