Friday, April 1, 2011

Garden Gone Wild!

I really need to be planting my summer garden this week.  Technically it should have been planted two weeks ago, but what can you do when your beds still look like this?

Who knew that collard greens had such beautiful flowers?  I have the happiest bees right now and THAT makes me happy!

The beets and kohlrabi are thriving!  Although I think the beets may be close to harvest, I saw one beet that had about a 2-3" diameter yesterday!  YUMMY!
Lettuce and spinach?  Why yes, I have just a little bit!

 Luckily my nursery people say I can plant tomatoes amongst the lettuce and spinach and still probably get yield for another month before pulling it!  Hooray!

I give up on this one!  I think I will just keep this bed for herbs this summer.  The onions are going strong, the cilantro is out of control (it's the big bush on the left), parsley is making a comeback (and I have to have lots of it for my parsley worms) and I am finally getting chives!  So I figure I'll work basil in there somehow and life will be good!
You can't complain when your garden looks this good and is producing this much (I swear I could feed four families out of my garden) but I really wish I had a little more space so I could be planting the next season's crops.  What's a girl to do?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment