Monday, June 8, 2009

And that's the way it grows!

Well, a little over a month ago I got started on my summer garden. At this time things are going pretty well. Some veggies are doing better than others, but everything is still alive and not completely overrun with aphids and squash borers like last year! I'm hitting the road in the next couple of days and the thought of leaving my little urban farm for a week makes me sad! I've worked so hard to get it this far and hate relinquishing its care to Big Daddy, who has too much on his plate already! I know he'll water it, but he won't go out and check for ripe produce or aphids or fertilize or love it and tell it how wonderful it is everyday. I worry most about the aphids, you have to keep on top of those little bastards!

I am seeing definite progress though, just look at all the flowers! I predict a salad full of juicy grape tomatoes in the near future! And look at this awesome Golden Boy, it will be ripe and yummy by Friday and oh so worth the wait! The black-eyed peas and okra are also doing well. I can't wait to make gumbo this summer and some ass-kickin' Hoppin' John! Oh the possibilities! The eggplants seem to be rebounding (I hope), but the green beans and peppers are still kinda puny. Wish I knew what the problem was. That's the sucky thing about gardening, you win some, and you lose some! The Monkey Man did find an interesting visitor on one of our tomato vines... so cool! Wish we would have seen it emerge!

No comments:

Post a Comment