Tuesday, June 23, 2009

This morning's harvest...

After a week away I was elated to see that my garden had survived the 100+ degree weather and Big Daddy! Not that my sweetie didn't attend to the garden's basic need, he did water it, but he isn't known for having that warm, fuzzy feeling for it that I do! He doesn't harvest, he doesn't patiently pick caterpillars and squash borers off plants and he certainly doesn't beam at it and tell it that it's beautiful and thank it daily for its bounty! In fact, I'm pretty sure my little garden was duly ignored except for a quick morning soak! Therefore I was quite surprised to see that not only did my eggplants survive, they actually rallied and are now twice the size and flowering (even though they are being picked on by pesky flea beetles, little bastards)!

My black-eyed peas are out of control! Twisting, twining, flowering, producing and basically taking over one bed! I hope they don't choke out the okra!

I literally have basil coming out of my ears at this time and the tomatoes, well, the grape tomatoes fell to one of the wilts. I am treating the other three with an organic fungicide in hopes of saving them, trying to be as optimistic as possible. I will be heart-broken of the maters kick, after all, they are the whole reason a summer gardener does this! Summer garden = luscious, juicy tomatoes! Without them the season is damn near a total loss!

The Monkey Man and I spent time harvesting this morning and we were quite pleased with the booty... black-eyed peas, a couple of okra, the last of the grape tomatoes before I pulled the vine and two little golden boys, and did I mention BASIL COMING OUT OF MY EARS! Seriously folks, if you need a basil fix, I'm the one to call. "Hello! Badass Basil Bitch at your service!" ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment