Friday, June 26, 2009

Fruits of my labor!


OK, really it's vegetables of my labor. The Monkey Man and I harvested a small batch of black-eyed peas and 2 okra. Not really enough to make a full dish of anything, so it was time to put on my thinking cap. I remembered a dish that was served at a family reunion several years ago that combined little red potatoes and black-eyed peas and figured, "What the hell, I've got peas, I've got potatoes, why not give it a shot?" So I did. I added the two okra as well and the result was amazing! The peas and okra were tender but with a little crunch and the potatoes did nothing but enhance the flavor. I threw in a couple of strips of turkey bacon, which worked fine, a ham hock might have been nicer though. But all in all, it was just a thrill to have a dish straight from my garden! YUMMY!

No comments:

Post a Comment