Thursday, September 3, 2009

You have got to be freakin' kidding me!

OK, I wasn't even remotely planning to blog again until sometime over the weekend. And I was totally intending to blog about warm fuzzy things such gardening or homeschooling or post some bitchin' pictures, but then I read an article that ABSOLUTELY FLOORED ME, well several articles. Fair warning, rant with profanity to follow...

President Barack Obama will be addressing the nation's school children on Tuesday, Sept. 8th. OH THE HORROR! It seems there is a whole group of people wanting to boycott this speech and yank their kids out of school that day. God forbid you let your child view a speech by the ELECTED leader of our country! I'm sorry, but you have got to be fucking kidding me. Whether you like Barack Obama or not, he's the President. And you owe it to your children to be an adult here! Seriously. Just because you didn't vote for the man and just because you don't agree with his administration does not mean you get to go act like a spoiled 3 year-old who didn't get his way! What is this teaching your kid? I did not vote for George W. Bush. I did not agree with most of the things that went on during his presidency. I WOULD HAVE ALLOWED my kid to view a speech made to the American students had he ever presented one! No matter what President was making the speech, my kid would be viewing it. It is a part of our culture, a part of our government, a part of our history. Get a grip!

And what the hell are these people so afraid of? Ooooooh yeah, he's recruiting a civilian army and brainwashing the students (probably using subliminal messaging too) just what any good leader of a totalitarian regime would do! Are these people out of their goddamn minds? It's a speech. It will be discussing the importance of studying, of staying in school, of trying to be all that you can be, encouraging the youth of America to step it up! Holy shit, maybe they're right! WE MUST BOYCOTT! No way I want my kid encouraged to do well, that's un-American, I tell ya! If my kid wants to grow up to be a completely worthless ass-clown, then by God, he's an American and he's earned that right. ENTITLED to it even!!! Let some crazy ass Black man tell my kid to work hard and make something of himself... THE NERVE!

I always laugh because many people I've met who have questioned my homeschooling choices have accused me of trying to "shelter" my children from the "REAL WORLD". Well what the hell is up with yanking your kid out of school for a day so they DON'T get to watch the President's speech? I think it's a fair assumption here that these folks are "sheltering" their children from the "REAL WORLD". Who'd a thunk it? It is yet just another situation in which people are proving how divisive this country has become. People are so terrified that their children might hear a speech and form a conclusion of their own that might possibly contradict Mom and Dad's ideologies. It's fucking sad. I'm sure those of you that follow this blog are well aware that I would consider myself liberal. But just because I'm a liberal and a registered Democrat does not mean that the Monkey Man or the Piglet have to follow in my footsteps! There will be a time when they both have to make decisions for themselves as to what they believe and how they want to vote. I want to encourage them to learn about the democratic process and about how government works. I want more than anything for them to make INFORMED DECISIONS. That's all I ask. I did not have my children to make little "Mini-Me's" of myself or Big Daddy. I want them to grow into upstanding INDIVIDUALS (i.e. not little duplicates of myself) that have respect for their fellow citizens and who are active and productive members of society.

I can tell you, my kid will be in front of the TV watching the President's speech on Tuesday. I hope it will be something that the Monkey Man can relate to and feel uplifted. I feel pity for those who are not allowing their children to participate. I'm sure they'll get alot more out of "The Suite Life of Zach and Cody" that afternoon.

3 comments: