Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Autumn in the garden

It's autumn! I love autumn! We are finally getting rain and the temperatures have dropped to a reasonable level. In fact, it's been quite crisp in the morning. The kids are excited because they can finally be outside without heat stroking. And I am excited to be out in the garden once again! I ripped out the okra yesterday. It was still producing quite a bit, but at this point, maybe due to the rain or the cooler temps, everything tasted like stringy wood! I am harvesting and processing basil like crazy, I desperately need the space in that bed for garlic, carrots and turnips. Yes you read right, turnips! I've never cooked a turnip in my life, but then again, I'd never cooked eggplant either and that was a total success! Speaking of eggplant, it's still doing great! We have had eggplant in curry (recipe to follow), in gumbo and in anything else I can chop it up and throw it into! Have I mentioned lately how much I love my little garden? There is just nothing like getting fresh produce directly from the plant and putting it into your favorite recipe!

I spent yesterday afternoon working Bed #1. It now has more topsoil and a nice helping of compost. It is just waiting to be planted. So what you may see as a big rectangle of dirt...

I see just overflowing with sweet and zesty greens, tender and luscious!

I'll spend the next couple of days weeding and composting the other two beds and hopefully by Sunday afternoon I will have all three planted and ready to go! I decided to bypass broccoli and cauliflower this year as they took up too much space and had low yields. Someday when I can dedicate at least 800 sq. ft. to a garden, THEN we might talk about a couple of rows of broccoli! But for this winter, I'm sticking with greens and root veggies. So keep your fingers crossed that we actually get carrots this year instead of little orange twigs!

1 comment:

  1. I am visualizing whirrled peas.. oh, and a garden overflowing with yummy veggies:) Good work Lil' Mama - I'm tired just reading of it!

    ReplyDelete