Monday, January 4, 2010

2010... Bring it on!


It's a new year and I find myself reminiscing about 2009 and wondering where the hell time went! It was a jam-packed year and I feel like I hardly had time to sit down and breathe. And although 2009 was a rough year for many people, I honestly can't complain. Of course we have been a bit strapped financially, but who hasn't? We adjusted. And of course there were loads of things I meant to do but never did (Hello, baseboards?? Someday.)

So... what DID I get done in 2009?

1. I once again managed to get two children another year closer to adulthood without thinking of sending them to boarding school even once! (OK, maybe just once.)
2. I continued homeschooling my children and I LOVED it! I was worried after the first year or so that I might not be so gung-ho about it anymore, but the longer we homeschool the more I am sure that this is absolutely the best situation for our family and I couldn't be happier!
3. I TRAVELED! I didn't go anyplace exotic or tropical but I did travel and it was GREAT! We camped, we enjoyed our cabin in Ruidoso and we discovered new and wonderful places in New Mexico and Texas. I'm sure going to Hawaii or Italy would have been cool, but honestly, there is so much to see and do locally, why not take advantage of that (especially if you're on a tight budget!)? Besides, traveling to me is more about who I'm with than where I'm at. I just adore being with my family and it doesn't make a damn bit of difference if we are in Fiji or Ruidoso as long as we're together! (Fiji would be freakin' cool though!)
4. I added on to my garden and continued growing food! I grew luscious lettuce and broccoli in the winter and had a bumper crop of black-eyed peas and okra this past summer. There was an unfortunate mishap with the tomatoes, but that gave way to the most awesome crop of basil Central Texas has ever seen in a single backyard! I then planted my winter garden of lettuce, greens, beets, turnips, onions and garlic which I am tending to at this time. I still love it and I can't imagine life without a garden, now if I could just figure out how to rotate crops in a way that I have a constant yield! Oh well, something to strive for!
5. We worked very hard this year to become less dependent on processed foods. I have not bought a loaf of bread in over a year and I haven't bought flour tortillas in months. I make my own spaghetti and pizza sauces not to mention my own rice pilafs and soups. I think my family is happier and healthier for this change. Now if I could just break my Coke habit!
6. I boycotted most store-bought cleaners. I have done my research and feel confident that most messes can be conquered with nothing more than vinegar, baking soda, lemons, dish soap, borax or hydrogen peroxide. So much easier on the environment AND the pocket book! Win-Win!
7. I took time for myself and went to Las Vegas with Big Daddy! Vegas was certainly not my choice of destinations, but how do you turn down a free trip? And like I mentioned before, it makes no difference where I'm at as long as I'm with the one I love! So we went, we took pics, we saw Carlos Santana AND Elvis and we just hung out, enjoying time together! It rocked.
8. I celebrated 15 years of marriage! We threw a big party with all of our family and friends and got re-married by none other than "Nelvis"! I can't tell you how awesome it is to have friends that will indulge your crazy eccentricities!
9. I took pictures like crazy! I see a portfolio in my near future!

But with all the good in 2009, there was one major downer. After 4-1/2 years with us, our beloved dog Otis passed away suddenly just before the holidays. We miss him every single day. But sometimes out of sadness a seed of hope and joy sprouts. Just before Thanksgiving we adopted two little dogs from the shelter! They are wicked cute and a wicked pain in the ass, but I am thrilled that I was able to give two little hard-knock pups a second chance. They are now warm, well-fed and loved beyond belief and I think Otis would approve!

So what about 2010? Well, as I have stated in years past, I DO NOT DO RESOLUTIONS! I'm just not a big fan of setting myself up to fail, but of course I have some goals for the new year.

1. Since neither 2008 nor 2009 were "The Year of the Baseboard", I really hope I can knock this one out this year. It's really beyond pathetic that we haven't taken care of this yet. But what can I say, it always loses the coin toss. Should I put down baseboards or go to Dallas to take the Monkey Man to see King Tut? Baseboards or Balloon Fiesta? Baseboards or mountain air and cool breezes to escape the scorching Texas heat? See what I mean? Baseboards didn't have a chance!
2. Continue traveling! I am loving taking road trips with my kids! It's such a great time for them to learn and have fun at the same time and I feel fortunate that homeschooling has allowed me the flexibility to do this. We have a road trip to Kentucky in the works for late spring that I am VERY excited about!
3. Conquer corn tortillas and pita and continue to lessen my dependence on processed foods.
4. Spend more time playing!
5. Take the children to more live music and more art venues. Austin is full of these and I haven't utilized them to fullest!
6. LEARN to take advantage of the LIBRARY! It is such a valuable resource unless Mama is a complete dunce when it comes to the Dewey Decimal system! I need a freakin' lesson in library skills!
7. Spend more time with good friends!
8. Train a couple of punk-ass dogs! They are so sweet and so snuggly but they could use some manners!
9. Continue gardening
10. My biggest goal of 2010 is to acquire additional equipment, a studio, and organize a portfolio for my photography. I have been on the brink of going professional for over a year, but I've been too chicken to do it! I need to just relax, admit that I have some talent and allow myself to take that step. After all, what do I really have to lose, right? I love photography and I would love to do it professionally. So like the Nike trademark says... Just do it!

I am looking forward to 2010 with all of its potential and possibilities! I just want to take it one day at a time, trying to make sure that I live every single day to its fullest! And sometimes living that day to the fullest means getting back into bed and sleeping late snuggled up with my baby girl or playing a couple of hours of Rock Band with the hubby and the boy! It's all about living in the now and not obsessing over the future. It hit me a couple of years ago that I was so caught up in the "Once I do this..., when I do that..., when we have "X" amount of $$$" that I completely lost sight of what was happening right under my nose! The fact is, a single afternoon gardening in the backyard with the kids jumping on the trampoline while crazy dogs play in the sun is so much more fun than worrying about what life will be like "if or when". So here's to the simple pleasures of 2010, a year of silly art, hiking, bad knock-knock jokes, dress-up, camping, good books, good food, goofy dogs, family, friends, green slime, awesome music, luscious lettuce, and not regretting a thing! I hope you are able to look fondly back on 2009 and jump into 2010 with a renewed sense of passion and I hope each and every one of you will join me in making this year one to remember!

No comments:

Post a Comment