Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Summer Garden 2010--Off to a great start!

I planted my garden about a week before or so before I left for Kentucky. Needless to say, I was a bit worried about how my wee, little garden would fair while I was gone. Big Daddy will water it, but he doesn't check for bugs or tuck the limbs of the tomato vines back into their cages or tell them how lovely they are and how happy we'll be for their bounty! I was elated to come back to find that everything was doing great (thanks to Big Daddy AND some much needed spring rain!) I've moved things around a bit this year and rotated crops, I'm also trying out some new crops! So what have I planted this year, you ask?

First and foremost... TOMATOES!

We have 4 different varieties, one being a cherry tomato that's already full of fruit! Hee Hee!

And with the tomatoes, I have planted, 2 varieties of basil and some cilantro!

Bed #2 consists of Fairytale Eggplant, garlic (leftover from winter), pole beans which I planted all along the back of the bed and hung wire fencing for them to climb
AND... can you stand it? CORN!

Yep, those little sprouts are corn! I am SO excited! And of course a whole bed dedicated to my summer favorites, OKRA and BLACK-EYED PEAS!

Like I said, I'm trying squash again this year, but it's been pretty bleak so far. All of my yellow squash transplants keeled over and I've got 3 zucchini, one that's looking great
and two, well not so much! I replanted some yellow squash by seed, I'm going to give things about a month and if stuff isn't producing, I'll throw in a late crop of okra and black-eyed peas, cause really one can never have enough of those!

Things are thriving and I couldn't be happier! I'm hoping for high yields, NO pests, less heat and MORE good rain this year! You can be sure I'll be posting a pic of our first summer tomato as soon as it's ripe!

1 comment:

  1. Now *this* is my kind of gardening -- looking at photos of your garden! No heat, no pests ... and lots of beauty and potential!

    ReplyDelete