Wednesday, May 26, 2010

More adventures in KY--Gladie Historic Site

We decided to take advantage of a beautiful, sunny day to go explore the Red River Gorge. So it was back onto the twisty, curvy roads running along the Red River. As it turns out, the "Gateway to the Red River Gorge" is this...
Nada Tunnel!

A 13' X 12' X 900' unlit, hole in the side of a mountain! This is one of those tunnels that would make a skittish driver such as myself have a bit of a panic attack! Luckily my mom was driving. I don't know what happens if a car in the opposite direction wants to come through... maybe play Chicken?!? To make this particular section of our drive even weirder, there was someone WALKING through it! We damn near ran over him! I mean what the hell? Walking threw an unlit tunnel wearing dark clothing? He obviously had a death wish! Or who knows? Maybe it was really just the ghost of the guy who blew himself up trying to thaw frozen dynamite when the tunnel was being built in 1910! Either way, I can just say, my claustrophobic ass was really glad to finally drive out the other side!

We made our way over to the Gladie Historic Site and Museum. The museum had loads of info about the Red River Gorge, its history, geology and archaeology. Very cool stuff! But my favorite part was the restored 1880's cabin.
Can you imagine living someplace so gorgeous? All I wanted to do was lay in the soft grass with my kids and watch the clouds pass by! This place was perfect, mostly flat and grassy around the cabin, with mountains and rock overhangs behind and a little creek! This very easily could be my fairytale homestead! It had a big barn,

some beautiful dogwoods,

and what Kentucky homestead would be complete without a still?

After touring the homestead, my little bunch was hungry. So we found a nice sunny spot to enjoy a picnic! This little guy decided to climb onto my fork...

So I ate him! ;)

We really enjoyed our time here! It was beautiful! I took one last photo, a view out toward the creek and was just stunned at how amazingly green this part of the country is! None of the photos in this particular entry have been enhanced, this is just what Kentucky looks like!

4 comments:

  1. So gorgeous, so lush! I need a road trip ASAP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was some amazingly beautiful country!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know this is kind of an old post, but here's a new comment anyway.

    I have a quick question about the male caterpillar (since you said "he" I assume someone with a background in insect study told you it's a male caterpillar) in the 3rd-and-2nd-to-last pictures. Did you ACTUALLY eat him (which would be awesome) or just pose the picture pretending to eat him?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well Hello! What a pleasant surprise to get a new comment! I have been so bad keeping up with this blog over the last year, so it's nice to see someone reading it. Anyway, in regards to your questions... First of all, no, I do not know if that caterpillar was male or female. I am pretty good at determining the sex of many of the silk moths and some butterflies, but I do not know how to go about sexing the caterpillars. And no, I didn't actually eat the little guy. My kids would have flipped out! Besides, caterpillars aren't so tasty raw, they are much better sautéed and served with a sweet and sour sauce. :)

    ReplyDelete