Tuesday, February 16, 2010

New Mexico Trip Part 1---ROSWELL


I am so insanely late in posting this, but it's better late than never, right? Last October, I packed up the kids (like I do every year) and headed to Albuquerque to visit my mom during Balloon Fiesta. Normally I would make a stopover in Clovis to visit my in-laws, but they moved to Round Rock! So I decided to take the more southern route and stopover in Roswell to spend the night with my 93 year-old grandmother! I have to say, I have been visiting my grandmother in Roswell since she moved there about 6 years ago, yet for some reason I have never set foot in the UFO Museum! I am so ashamed. But I figured the kids were old enough this time, so what the hell?

Observation #1: All of the lamp posts in this section of downtown Roswell look like this...
Observation #2: Aliens aren't cheap! It cost $20 for me and the two kids. Now I'm someone that will certainly pay to see something amazing, but room after room of laminated newspaper clippings and a cardboard spaceship with Christmas lights didn't exactly BLOW MY MIND! And my kids were bored out of their skulls!

Observation #3: These people take this shit WAY to seriously. I always thought the UFO Museum would be someplace super fun and kitschy where you could joke around with your fellow patrons, but NO. The museum staff would not tolerate anything above a whisper and they gave my kids stink-eye the whole frickin' time! So much for a fun morning at the museum!

Oooooo! Look Buzz, a SPACESHIP!


Observation #4: At least the person who made this had a sense of humor!


I personally thought this was a little freaky, but it was the kids' favorite part!


Final thoughts: OK, this place is definitely pricey for what it is. And what it is, is a giant storage room for documents and newspaper clippings from the late 1940's in regards to the "Roswell Incident". There is a wealth of information and there is craploads of stuff to read. I wasn't able to read nearly as much as I would have liked to because I had a whining 3 y.o. with me. So I think for someone who wants to spend an afternoon reading up on something cool, this is the place for you. If you want to take your kids to a fun, kitschy, silly place to have good, light-hearted time, this is NOT the place for you. Honestly, the gift shop was our favorite part because the lady in there DID have a sense of humor and the alien toys and t-shirts were great! So we ended up with one stretchy alien, one t-shirt and a defaced penny!

I do hear that Roswell has an annual UFO Festival and the parade and costumes look hysterical! So if you want a fun alien -filled adventure (or an alien fun-filled adventure), maybe that's the way to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment