Monday, February 15, 2010

Valentine Scrooge


Most of you that have followed along for awhile are probably aware that I am not at all a fan of Valentine's Day. I seem to remember years ago when Big Daddy and I were first dating that we went out for our "special" Valentine's Dinner at the Olive Garden (of all places!). The wait was atrocious even though we had reservations and the outpouring of public affection was bordering on the obscene. From that night on, it became blatantly obvious that this was NOT the holiday for me! Don't get me wrong, the sentiment is nice enough. I appreciate the need to express your love to your significant other, but isn't that something you should do everyday? I personally think July 21st is just as relevant as February 14th when it comes to professing my deep and undying love. Or maybe even April 6th? Any day is a good day to say, "I love you!" And I don't know, maybe I just don't like being told what to do. I'm sorry but I just refuse to let Wal-Mart, Target, Zales and Hallmark dictate how and when I should feel amorous. And really, I need a teddy bear with a heart shaped balloon like I need a giant pimple on my ass. So I admit it... I'm the Valentine Scrooge! You can keep your hearts and cherubs and cupids and diamond necklaces... it's just not my bag. I'm a pretty simple girl, so Big Daddy knows that as long as I have a steady supply of chocolate stashed in the pantry year-round and he tells me he loves me every morning before he goes to work and he occupies the kids long enough for me to have a hot bath with a good book on occasion that I will be happy and know that I'm loved. For me, those simple everyday actions mean more to me than any card or gift could possibly convey. I know there are probably many of you out there that enjoy Valentine's Day immensely and I certainly don't begrudge you for that. Just be aware that on February 14th while you're out smooching, canoodling and exchanging trinkets, I'll be home, grilling salmon and celebrating Oregon's entry into the union (finally something worth celebrating!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment