Thursday, March 4, 2010

Green is beautiful!


Finally! I have been patiently waiting for my collards to reach a harvest-able maturity. In the meantime, I've eaten a lot of turnip greens, which to my delight, have been marvelous. But there is just something about a big mess of collard greens that can't be rivaled! Today was the day! The leaves are big (but not too big) and a most magnificent color of green! I've heard you can harvest a whole plant or pick off the leaves much like I do my lettuce and spinach, so opted for that route. A continual harvest is always my preference. I can't wait to prepare them! Sadly, my immediate family is not that into collard greens or turnip greens or mustard greens. They'll eat lettuce and spinach no problem, but they turn their noses up at greens. It's too bad that my mom doesn't live closer. I'd invite her over and we'd make a pan of cornbread and a mess of greens and call it GOOD! You just can't get much better! But thankfully I have a father-in-law who also appreciates the culinary delight of collard greens, so I see another family dinner in my near future! Steaks and collards? Or maybe brisket? My aunt in Kentucky makes tamales with collard greens, maybe I could get my family to eat them that way?

1 comment:

  1. Very Nice! I totally miss my garden. I love greens too and enjoyed growing all kinds. We need to catch up woman. Feed me some greens! ;)

    ReplyDelete