Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Summer Garden 2010--Full tilt!

Well things are really taking off in my little garden this year! Hooray! The eggplants are going crazy already!

The corn is about 6-8" tall and the green beans are climbing like crazy!

The black-eyed peas are doing great and the okra isn't as big as I was hoping by now, but they're doing OK. I did have to pull one up due to aphid infestion (stinkin' aphids!) And I need to hurry up and get something for the green beans in the back to climb or they or going to get into trouble!

The zucchini and squash all perished (stinkin' squash borers!!!) It really does seem that there is just no cure for the little bastards so I am officially DONE with cucurbits! No more wasting time and energy on squash, melons, or cucumbers. I know when I have been beaten and I surrender! So, in their place, I am planting a late crop of corn and Mammoth sunflowers! And I may see if there is something I can plant in between the corn.

On to better news though, the Tomato Wilt Tragedy of 2009 is not showing signs of resurgence. My cherry tomatoes are doing well, I'm picking around 5 a day. I have had to start picking them a bit early though due to a mischievous mocking bird that likes to come and take ONE peck out of all the red, ripe tomatoes! So I've been picking them a little orange and letting them ripen in the kitchen window. All four of my plants have fruit on them at this time, but so far, the over-achiever is my Solar Flare vine. This thing has approximately 20 big, fat, tomatoes hangin'! It is such a wonderful sight after witnessing the deterioration and death of all my vines last year and I will be so happy to partake of this beautiful vine's bounty!

No comments:

Post a Comment