Thursday, July 29, 2010

Garden greatness!

It hasn't been quite a month since my last garden post and it's amazing how things change in such a short time! Remember I was worried about my corn and sunflowers? And so happy that they were actually knee-high by the 4th of July? Well, 25 days later and this is what we have...
Knee high? Hell, the sunflowers are at least 8 ft. tall! I have never seen anything so big and beautiful! I do, however, have a small infestion of caterpillars, GRRRRRR!
I removed three leaves with large colonies like this and then sprayed the whole plant with garlic water. Caterpillars supposedly hate this. I also sprayed my corn silks with a healthy dose as well!

And what about those lovely, little black-eyed pea and okra plants?
They're HUGE! The okra is over 7 ft. tall! I have NEVER in my life seen okra plants this big! I mean they aren't really even okra "plants" any more, they are TREES! They are finally producing and I think I will have enough to make a pan of fried okra this weekend! Woo-hoo! The black-eyed peas are really putting on as well. I harvested enough last week to make a full pot! We shelled them then I put them in a pot with some turkey bacon, garlic and a smidge of butter. They were firm, yet tender and just bursting with flavor! Lucky for me, the vine is covered again and I'll be making another pot this weekend! Have I mentioned lately how much I love my garden?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment