Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Super Summer Reading!


I would personally like to thank Barnes & Noble, Half Price Books, Borders and the Austin Public Library system for encouraging my kids (and me) to read more this summer! The Monkey Man is a good reader, but he was a little hesitant to jump in to a full-blown chapter book. So I told him I would enter him in the summer reading programs IF he agreed to read only chapter books at his grade level or above. He agreed and in about a month and a half he has completed 13 books! I personally committed to an extra 30 minutes of reading to the Piggy everyday and she is SO happy! Three of the programs (B&N, Borders and the library) offered free books as the reward, so the Monkey Man picked up 3 new books, and not crap books either, he got "The Lightning Thief", "39 Clues-The Maze of Bones", and "The Ranger's Apprentice"! Of those three, Miss Piggy could only participate in the library program due to her age but she earned "Froggy Goes to Bed" which makes her giggle! Half Price Books doesn't give away free books, but they give you $3 coupons that you can use towards purchases, which in their store is a pretty big deal! So with a minimal investment of about $12 Piggy got 4 new books and the Monkey Man got 4 new books. So all in all, we managed to get 12 books for about $12!!! I mean how can you beat that? And although I'm so excited to get some new books in the house, I am even more excited that my boy is reading like crazy now and really enjoying it! Long live summer reading programs!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment