Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Knee-high by the 4th of July!

You know, I've been pretty worried about that second batch of corn that I planted, it's been looking kind of puny! My mom told me that it should be fine so long as it was "knee-high by the 4th of July". Well, as of last week, it wasn't. Not even close. And then there was Hurricane Alex and the lovely bands of rain it sent our way! In a period of about 5 days my corn (and my sunflowers) went from being about 8-10" tall to this... Knee-high Baby! Knee-High! So I WILL be getting a nice late harvest of corn! And as impressive as that may be, it is the corn in the other bed, the okra and the black-eyed peas that are going all Amazonian on me! The corn, obviously in the background, and YES, that's okra in the foreground! OKRA! It's HUGE!
And below we have corn on the left, eggplant in the front and my GORGEOUS pole beans on the right! The corn has ears and silks goin' on and the green beans are starting to flower!

And let's not forget those beautiful black-eyed peas! I've been harvesting a few pods a day for about 4 days! I can't wait to cook 'em!
I am just so stunned at my garden this year! And I totally wish I could brag and say that I've just got mad gardening skills, but that's not the case at all! It just happens that Mother Nature has been kind to our area this year with milder temperatures and RAIN! You just can't take for granted what rainwater provides that tap water does not. So I'm just enjoying the ride and getting the biggest kick out of watching everything grow and flourish, and of course, eating vine-ripened tomatoes hasn't been too shabby either!

1 comment:

  1. Your garden is amazing! Just read the other day that the word "paradise" originally means "walled garden" - I can see why :)

    ReplyDelete