Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Afternoon in the Rio Ruidoso


We took a trek into town one morning for the kids to enjoy a pony ride. They had a wonderful time! That is, they had a wonderful time until our turn was over. The Piglet screeched like a mashed cat when we had to remove her from her pony! Oy, it was a sad state affairs! Luckily there was a playground across the street, but sadly, the swings were broken and the slides were hot. More crying ensued! But alas... there was a stream! A river actually, the Rio Ruidoso to be exact. Last year that river flooded, wreaking havoc through the town and leaving me, my mother and my two kids stranded in the upper canyon for 3 days! But on this warm summer day, it was a cool, clear, trickling stream, perfect for wading and exploring!

The Monkey Man was the first in, of course. He had his shoes off and was in up to his knees in seconds flat! And not to be outdone, the Piggy was right behind! They played and splashed, found rocks and shells and shockingly stayed dry from mid-thigh up! I love watching them together. The Monkey Man is such a good and patient big brother, well, for the most part. He holds her hand and helps her along when she has a hard time keeping up. It gives me great joy to know that they have each other and I hope they will always look out for one another. It's a bond that I will never understand being an only child, but even I can see that it's strong and growing stronger everyday. They are so lucky to have each other, and I think sometimes, even they get that!

No comments:

Post a Comment