Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The drought is taking its toll.

My poor little garden is giving its all, but the 100+ degree temps and no rain in sight is just taking its toll. The flea beetles are wreaking havoc on my poor eggplant, and it is to taxed from the heat it just has no defenses. I managed to get one tomato each off of the two heirloom vines before they succumbed to the wilt. It was so sad ripping them out. They all got over 5' tall before they went down. The tomatoes that I did manage to salvage were HUGE and gorgeous! It would have been such a luscious harvest and I'm so bummed! The black-eyed peas have been out of control, but now are starting to turn yellow. I don't know if it's the heat, the lack of rain, a wilt of some sort or if they just quit producing and turn yellow when they're done. It's my first time with peas, so I'm pretty clueless! The green beans are a disaster, I don't think I will get anything out of them this season. And I'm wondering if I'm going to have to clear and treat all the beds for wilt before I can plant again, which may mean I miss the winter season. This garden kicked my ass this summer and I'm feeling slightly defeated! Oh well, on the bright side, basil is still out of control, okra is really starting to kick in, I have jalapenos and pimento peppers ripening, and even though the beetles are causing problems, I do have one little eggplant that is trying so hard! Maybe they'll kick in for a late harvest. I will keep my fingers crossed. Turns out, summer gardening is just NOT easy in Texas!

No comments:

Post a Comment