Friday, July 17, 2009

French Breakfast Puffs? Oui, oui!


A few weeks back, I mentioned on my Facebook page that I was making French Breakfast Puffs. I received many comments and emails asking for the recipe, so I figured I'd have pity on those desiring the ultimate in cinnamon-y, sugary goodness! The recipe comes from my Mimmie's old Betty Crocker cookbook circa 1950. As you can tell, my Mimmie, my Mom and I have used the hell out of this cookbook, it's definitely a classic! And from the look of this page, we were all pretty fond of French Breakfast Puffs!

So, here's the recipe!

French Breakfast Puffs

1/3 cup shortening
1/2 cup sugar
1 egg
1-1/2 cups flour
1-1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup milk

Topping: 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 cup melted butter

-Heat oven to 350*F. Grease muffin tins (personally, I prefer to use the mini muffin tins, they are perfect for little fingers and you can pretend that since they're smaller, it's OK to eat more!)
-Mix shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and the egg thoroughly and until fluffy. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg, alternating with the milk. The batter is a fairly sticky batter. Divide into muffin tins.
-Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown.
-Mix the other 1/2 cup of sugar and cinnamon together and melt the butter. Remove the hot muffins from the oven and carefully pull them out, roll them in the melted butter, then roll them in the cinnamon/sugar mixture. Serve while still warm.

Here is the finished product... feel free to drool!

No comments:

Post a Comment