Thursday, April 16, 2009

Beetling around the garden


It's spring for Pete's sake and my front garden bed looked pathetic! The only color was coming from the lovely salvia that I planted last year. I "heart" my salvia! So I just couldn't help myself when I went to the nursery to release the butterfly, I HAD to get some plants! I totally dig our nursery, Green 'n Growing in Pflugerville, it's a nice little Mom and Pop shop and they always have a great selection of flowers and veggies and much of it is organic! Anyway, I have been going there for years, so they know me and they always look at me like I'm a little crazy as my sense of landscape design must be lacking! I pick and choose based solely on emotion. Granted, I make sure to get drought-tolerant, heat-tolerant, full-sun varieties, I'm not so silly as to plant hostas in full Texas sun, but seriously folks, NO design sense whatsoever! If it has a pretty little flower or interesting leaves and isn't in everyone else's garden, it's likely you'll find it in mine! I don't go with any color scheme because I feel that nature is nature, it ALL matches! The more color the better!

Gomphrena or Globe Amaranth. I had bright pink ones last year, but I fell in love with this purple!

"Passionate Blush" Gaura. I was just taken in by the dark green leaves and red stems, not to mention the sweet pink flowers!

"Henna" coleus. OK seriously, what is not to like about this awesome plant! Cool serrated leaves with vibrant burgundy and chartreuse! This thing is wicked! Note, this is NOT one of the full sun varieties, I have them tucked away under a small tree where they get very patchy late sun.

"Profusion Fire" zinnia. The Monkey Man picked these out, he's all about the bright reddish oranges!

All I can say is it was a very good day! I got my hands and fingernails dirty, I breathed in the fresh air and spent time with my kids! Gardening is good! However, I could have lived without the tick I found attached to my belly later that night... YUCK!

2 comments:

  1. Gorgeous--except for the tick, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I did all I could to get him out without a problem, but his head got stuck and got all infecting. Damn ticks!

    ReplyDelete