Sunday, April 12, 2009

An EGG-cellent day to dye!


One of my favorite things about Easter is egg-dying. How can you not enjoy turning eggs into miniature pieces of art? I wish we could dye 6 dozen eggs every year, but alas, hard-boiled eggs do NOT top my list of culinary delights (although, I do make mean-ass deviled eggs!). So every year, I agree to one dozen eggs... enough to have fun with, but few enough to actually eat!

So last night, I whipped out the cups and the dyes and the vinegar and LOTS of newspaper. I made the kids put on their trashed out "art shirts", gave them each a wire dipper and let 'em have at it! Of course Mama had to partake just a bit! Too bad I was the first to drop an egg and crush it! Doh!

Here's the Piggy with her first egg! She had to hold it and look at it and smell it, all in an attempt to divine what color the egg wanted to be. Turns out it was yellow!

Waiting patiently...

And the "Mad Scientist" lurking in his lab, monitoring all of his precious eggs!

The end result... our very Bohemian eggs!

Proud artists admiring their fine work! An egg-cellent job even if I do say so myself!

3 comments:

  1. Save the shells all year and you CAN dye 6 dozen eggs every year to make cascarones!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These eggs turned out fine-n-funky! Love the photos of kid participation : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not been brave enough to try cascarones yet. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete