Thursday, June 3, 2010

And the transformation begins...

Well for two weeks I have been feeding ravenous "parsley worm" caterpillars. Sadly, one of them died, but the other three have successfully denuded 4 parsley transplants!

I have really been hoping that they would just do their thing because I can't afford to keep buying transplants for them! Well, my wish has been granted! Two of the three remaining caterpillars seem to be starting their transformation. Fat Cat, the largest of the three, has climbed up a stalk, leaned back and produced some sort of silk that is holding it into place. It still looks just like a caterpillar though. This isn't the best pic in the world, but it's hard to take them in the enclosure.

But Crazy Cat, the medium caterpillar, has done something weird. It's grabbed ahold of a stalk with one foot and is now hanging upside down. And honestly, it looks kind of gross! I am hoping it didn't just keel over and die! But I thought this with my tomato hornworm a couple of years ago because they look like they are dying when they are turning into a chrysalid. So hopefully this little guy is alright.

You'll notice the orange things coming out of it's head? Those are what produce the nasty stench when you spook them!

Little Cat is still cruising around and eating parsley. I hope he will follow suit soon. Keep your fingers crossed that each of these little guys make a successful transformation into some sort of beautiful swallowtail butterfly! I will post more pics of the different stages.

No comments:

Post a Comment