Tuesday, June 29, 2010

The carnage...




The culprits!


First it was the hornworm, but he died. Problem solved. Then it was the stink bugs. I'm still battling those little bastards, but what do you do with a couple of peckish birds?!? And it's not like I'd mind so much if they just ate off of one tomato at a time, but these little peckers take a stab at EVERY single tomato that gets close to being red! I'm now having to harvest them when they are barely orange and let them ripen in the window. Kind of detracts from the whole "vine-ripened" thing! From what I'm reading online, it seems as though most birds don't normally go for tomatoes and such unless it is HOT and water is scarce. So my options are:
1. Net my tomatoes, but they could still probably peck through the netting.
2. Buy a scary, plastic owl, which will probably work for the cardinal, but mockingbirds are just too stinkin' smart for their own good and will laugh at my owl!
or
3. Buy a freakin' birdbath!

Big Daddy asked me last night, "Isn't it cheaper to buy tomatoes at the store than spend all of this damn money on birdbaths and shit?" I suppose he's got a point! :(

No comments:

Post a Comment