Friday, June 4, 2010

Nothing says summer like...

HOMEMADE STRAWBERRY ICE CREAM!

It was hot, it was Memorial Day and it was time to try out the ice cream maker that I was given last year! I debated on flavors. Should I just try vanilla? The recipe called for bananas and that would be yummy. The Piglet is a chocolate fan! But after perusing the fridge it became apparent that this batch was going to be strawberry, which ironically happens to be MY favorite flavor anyway! ;) The recipe is awesome, no cooking and it's ready in about a 1/2 hour! So here is the basic recipe (it's SO easy!), so experiment and enjoy!

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1 12-oz can of evaporated milk
1 pint of Half and Half
2 tbsp. of vanilla
Add fruit as desired. I added a cup or so of strawberries that I ran through the food processor. You mix these ingredients well with a whisk.
Then you pour it all into the container of the ice cream maker. You fill this container almost to the top with WHOLE milk, it took almost a 1/2 a gallon for mine. Drop in the paddle, close the lid, drop the container into the bucket,
and as I found out later... turn the motor on THEN add ice and rock salt! Otherwise, if you add the ice first then turn on the motor, the ice gets stuck around it and the motor does nothing but whine! Anyway, make sure the ice cream container is spinning away in the bucket of ice and rock salt and let it go for about a half hour. My machine is nice, it automatically turns off at that time. So I checked it, tasted it of course and determined it was done! The finished product was well worth the effort! Not bad, right?!?! And there was absolutely NO high fructose corn syrup or cellulose gum or guar gum or salt or food coloring! I love making things from scratch!

2 comments:

  1. This looks so spectacularly wonderful that I can barely stand myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was super yummy! I think I may make another batch this weekend, maybe peach or banana?!?

    ReplyDelete