Monday, March 30, 2009

Mayfield Park... visited!


OK, I am a complete failure as an Austinite! I have been here about 6 years and have never set foot in this wonderful place until today! It is right in the middle of town and so easy to get to, I really am a loser! We were lucky enough to be accompanied by a couple of other homeschool families and we had a blast! It was cool and breezy, the trail wasn't difficult and at the end we were rewarded with the gardens and yes... THE RESIDENT PEACOCKS! There were peacocks and pea-hens everywhere! We even got to see one of the pretty white ones! So cool! And believe me, the males were putting on quite a show for all the girls, who really could have cared less! But WE were impressed! We chatted over a picnic and after everyone went their separate ways, the kids and I stuck around for a bit more to color in our field journals and take more pictures. The Monkey Man drew a lovely lily and a peacock feather, he is quite the artist! I can definitely say, this will not be our last visit to Mayfield Park and Preserve!

Monkey Man coloring in his nature journal!


Little Miss Piggy on the hiking trail.


Some sort of lily maybe? I'm not the best at botany... (After a bit of research, I have determined that these must be some sort of calla lily.)

Yet again, don't know the name but aren't they sweet??? (OK thanks to some knowledgeable readers, I have been informed that this is an evening primrose! I LOVE it!)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you went!!! What a spectacular place ... and what great photos.

    The last photo is an evening primrose ... aren't they lovely?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo! Evening primrose! Yes, I love these, want these in my yard! And yes, what a great, peaceful retreat! Lately I am finding some of the most interesting, tucked away little places in town. So cool!

    ReplyDelete