Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Today's ugly task

I have been dreading this day all weekend. I get to go fight with my dentist's office over billing. Seems as though they charged me, claiming that the insurance was not paying, then they filed again with the insurance and got paid. SO, now they have been paid twice. Of course, did they inform me of such a thing? No. But I guarantee, had I been delinquent or underpaid in any way, they would have had creditors at my door so fast it would make your head spin! I so very much dislike medical billing practices and insurance! I long for affordable medical care that one could reasonably pay for procedures out of pocket and not have to really on insurance! I long for billing practices that are ethical! The whole system has just become a huge crock of shit! You can never make sense of a bill, in fact, I laugh my ass off when I receive these "explanation of benefits" letters from my insurance company. They don't explain anything! They are utterly confusing! And it is a never-ending game of the doctors HAVING to overcharge in order to be even remotely compensated by the cheap ass insurance companies. They rely on the fact that many people DON'T comb over their bills and EOB's the way I do (what can I say, we're poor, every damn dime matters to me and I scrutinize the hell out of my doctor bills and EOB's). They are intentionally confusing to deter interference! The insurance companies are able to underpay and dump more of the monetary responsibility into the lap of the patient, while many of the doctors are getting paid from both sides and just keeping their traps shut! It really is a disgusting system and I absolutely cringe every time I need to go to the doctor or the dentist because I know in some way, shape or form I'm gonna get screwed!

Where's Doc Hollywood when I need him?

3 comments:

  1. Isn't what the dentist has done some kind of fraud?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Technically yes. I confronted them with the problem and "oh my goodness, it seems as though your account HAS been overpaid!" (Imagine that!) So, supposedly I will be cut a check at the end of April. I won't hold my breath! But I have phone numbers and all of my paperwork in hand and ready at a moments notice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep after them. I had one doctors office even claim they called me to setup payments for a bill once. They never called or anything, what a fiasco. I hate dealing with them as well.

    ReplyDelete